Thursday, March 10, 2011

Garrett McKinley Price

Garrett McKinley Price
WWI Veteran
http://bit.ly/ihOKlm



Garrett McKinley Price 1919 grandfather of Philip Keith Atkins & father of Ruth Lucile (Price) Atkins {source}

Garrett was born 28 Nov 1896 and was married to Inez Kelly until her death on 2 Jan 1956. He died in his sleep at the home of his daughter and son-in-law Sidney Atkins Jr. on Little Harts Creek, Lincoln County, West Virginia on 5 Jan 1979.


Garrett served in the US Army during WWI at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas. His job as described to me was to attend the horses of the army officers. The non commissioned officers or NCO's were less fortunate. I discoved to my surprise during my basic training at Ft. Bliss that the army had retained the horse stables as a museum. I was able to personaly share this story with my grandfather just before his death and prior to my departure from El Paso, Texas. Grandfather always had a way working with animals. General John 'Blackjack' Pershing was the commanding general at the time.

more...


Photo; bliss.army.mil/museum/FortBlissPhotos.htm


Source;

http://bit.ly/h77eLD


Copyright 2011 Atkins & Assoc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment