Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Miracle

It was a nice spring day back in 1982 as I crossed the five lane street on foot between the laundry mat and the post exchange on Ft. Lewis.

I had my rain jacket tucked under my arm since it had rained for six straight weeks. I was trying to finish my errands for the day while half way across the street my life suddenly changed.

I was hit by a speeding truck as it turned onto the roadway. The impact caused my head to strike the hood of a large 4x4 of some sort and when I came to rest my head was under a portion of the front tire. It was the drivers side and had it rolled one half or perhaps a quarter turn more my head would have been under a large tire.

The paramedics arrived and since I hadn't moved I was taken away strapped to a board. I was placed in the emergency room and soon I had electrodes strapped all over my chest and head. I was covered with warm sheets and was beginning to go into shock. The doctors were also marking on my left leg with some sort of black maker. It actually reminded me of a game of tic tack toe.

The whole time this event was taking place I remember praying and asking God not to let me die. My reason, I was too young and had much to accomplish and that I would live a diligent life in His service. Whatever that might mean?

The medical staff left the room and while praying this whole time out loud I began to move and soon was pulling off the electrodes from my head and chest. I'd made up my mind that I was getting out of that place.

When one of the nurses appeared and asked what I was doing I simply explained that I was going home.

The doctors soon thereafter returned and marveled that I could move so I persuaded them to fetch my clothes.

I had a very large bruise and knot on the top left portion of my head where I had struck the truck hood. I had to eat soup for weeks because my jaw was stiff and sore.

I also had a very large bruise on the thigh of my left leg and had to use a kane for several weeks.

When I didn't show up for formation the next morning my lieutenant came knocking and when he saw my injuries was shocked. Lt. Kort was very understanding and as my platoon leader took care of all the details.

I'm not sure how far that truck knocked me after I was struck but interesting enough the rain jacket I was carrying was never returned.

Had the driver not delivered the exact amount of brake pressure at the precise moment it would have been another story all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment